K107.1 FM website - We Play Your MusicKFIZ News AM 1450 on Facebook
Listen Live to KFIZ.1 FM
920-921-1071
KFIZ Closings and Cancellations in the Fond du Lac, WI area.  Sponsored by Airtech Heating and Cooling
Fond du Lac Foundation
LHHS
KFIZ South Valley Weather Updates
KFIZ social network facebook and Twitter feeds
McDonald's LeBron





Captcha Image

Fond du Lac Humane Society Animal Outfitters   Fond du Lac Credit Union
Advertise with KFIZ.1 FM
Edward Jones   Jerry Schneider Band Polka Show 9:00 AM - Noon Saturdays on KFIZ

Alliant Energy Reminds Customers Of Danger Of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

06-Jan-2014

Cold weather is nothing new for Alliant Energy customers. Even so, the forecasted temperatures this week are a little extreme, so Alliant Energy reminds customers about some common safety tips to help keep customers warm and safe during the cold stretch.

The threat of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning is typically highest in the winter, even more so when the temperatures dip so low. Exposure to carbon monoxide happens when heating equipment malfunctions. It’s important to know CO is a deadly, odorless, colorless and tasteless gas. Only a special CO detector can alert you of a problem. These detectors should be installed on every floor of a home or business, and especially near bedrooms.

“Because the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning mimic those of the flu without a fever, victims often don’t realize the cause of their illness,” said Richard Sublett, Senior Manager of Natural Gas Compliance and Operational Performance. “Headache, nausea, dizziness, confusion, and shortness of breath are symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. If you have these symptoms after being in an enclosed area, get fresh air immediately and seek medical attention. Be sure to tell your doctor that you may have CO poisoning.”

CO can also fill your home if you warm your car up in the garage, or even halfway outside the garage. Commonly the exhaust containing carbon monoxide fills the garage and doesn’t dissipate, forcing it into the home.

Don’t use a cooking stove or a grill, either gas or charcoal, to provide heat in a home, garage or fishing shack. Do not use a fuel-burning space heater in an enclosed space without proper venting.

Make sure your natural gas appliances or equipment are installed, maintained and used properly and safely. Throughout the year, regularly clean or replace filters in your furnace or space heater. With a furnace and water heater running overtime, condensation can form ice and block the vents located on the top or side of your home. Chimneys and sidewall vents must be clear to allow proper venting, which prevents accumulation of carbon monoxide or equipment malfunction.

You can find more information on CO and other safety topics at alliantenergy.com/safety.

Comments 0

Please remember a few rules before posting comments:

  • If you don't want people to see your email address, simply type in the URL of your favorite website or leave the field empty.
  • Try to be civil to your fellow readers.
  • Stay on topic. We want to hear your opinions and thoughts, but please only comment about the specified topic in article.

Post a Comment

- +




Captcha Image
KFIZ Phone: 920-921-1071
All content © 2012 Mountain Dog Media, USA
Web Design and Development by Wyld_Desyns LLC - "Take Your Business to the Next Level!