FDL Water Utility On Frozen Water Pipes
The City of Fond du Lac Water Utility encourages customers to protect water pipes in their homes and businesses from breaking or freezing during extreme cold weather conditions. Safeguard your property by taking a few simple precautions:
· Assure the basement area temperature is above freezing
· Insulate pipes or faucets in unheated areas
· Utilize heat tape on pipes in crawl spaces and other unheated areas
· Seal off access doors, air vents and cracks
· Open cabinets and closets that contain water lines to allow circulation of warm air
· Locate master shutoff valve, so water can quickly be turned off if a leak occurs
· Allow a thin steady stream of water to constantly run if you know conditions at your property are not adequate
· Check empty and vacant buildings to be sure heat is maintained. If out of town, have a neighbor or relative periodically stop by. A great deal of frost or condensation on windows may indicate that a heating system has failed and water may be running due to froze/broken pipes.
When a customer experiences a water loss the Utility will assist in determining the problem. It is the responsibility of the owner to warm pipes in unheated locations of the dwelling. Care needs to be taken when thawing frozen pipes. Apply heat to the section of frozen pipe using an electric hair dryer, or by wrapping an electric heating pad around the pipe. Do not use a torch, kerosene or propane heater, or any open flame.
If it is determined that the underground water line is frozen outside of the building Water Utility personnel will attempt to thaw the pipe. Contact the Water Business Office at 322-3680 weekdays between 7:00 AM and 3:30 PM. In the evening or weekends call the City Police Department non-emergency number 906-5555 and they will notify the Utility.
Please remember a few rules before posting comments:
- If you don't want people to see your email address, simply type in the URL of your favorite website or leave the field empty.
- Try to be civil to your fellow readers.
- Stay on topic. We want to hear your opinions and thoughts, but please only comment about the specified topic in article.