107.1 The Bull linkKFIZ News AM 1450 on Facebook
Listen Live to KFIZ.1 FM
920-921-1071
KFIZ Closings and Cancellations in the Fond du Lac, WI area.  Sponsored by Airtech Heating and Cooling
Korneli Wisconsin
KFIZ South Valley Weather Updates
KFIZ social network facebook and Twitter feeds

Newsletter Sign-Up






Captcha Image

Wisconsin Farm Report with Pam Jahnke   Wisconsin Eye - Watch Who We Are
Advertise with KFIZ.1 FM
Edward Jones   Jerry Schneider Band Polka Show 9:00 AM - Noon Saturdays on KFIZ

Fire Safety Reminders for the Holiday Season

06-Dec-2018

Winter usually brings concerns of the freezing cold and frozen precipitation hitting the roads – but Fond du Lac Fire and Rescue is reminding people of dangers inside their homes. Division Chief of Fire Prevention Troy Haase is hoping for a safe holiday season. 

Haase says “the wreath is up, it’s got all red lights on it – and it will stay up from Thanksgiving until we get to the first of the year, and our goal is to keep all of the lights red. If something causes a fire that’s Christmas-related or holiday-related, then we’ll have to put a white bulb in it. So we don’t want to put any white bulbs in. We’ve been very successful since that red wreath has gone up, but I’ve got white bulbs sitting there ready to go.”

Thinking back, Haase believes it’s been about five or six years since he’s had to use the white bulbs. 

Haase tells us that the community safely made it through the most likely day to have a cooking fire, but the next two on that list are just weeks away. 

He says “we got through Thanksgiving with the cooking, that’s the number one day – but we’ve got Christmas Eve and Christmas Day then as the next two high, high cooking fire-type things. So we want to make sure we’re always making sure we’re staying clear of the stove. If you’re not cooking, don’t be in by the stove. Keep a lid close if you’re frying so you can cover it up and put the fire out.”

Cooking is often a major cause of fires this time of year - but there are other concerns that may lead to a spark. Haase reminds residents that if you’re going to use a heater in your home – there are a number of safety precautions to take before you even turn it on. 

He points out that you should “plug right into the outlet, we don’t plug it into a cord. We put those three heaters on that multi-plug into the extension cord, and within 5-7 minutes, it started right on fire. It just melts and melts and melts until two wires touch, it arcs, and then – we set it on a piece of carpet like you’d have in your house – and it started the carpet on fire.”

Haase adds that everyone in the house should know their way out - or be briefed on an escape plan - especially when there are relatives staying over in a home they may not be completely familiar with. 

Comments 0

Please remember a few rules before posting comments:

  • If you don't want people to see your email address, simply type in the URL of your favorite website or leave the field empty.
  • Try to be civil to your fellow readers.
  • Stay on topic. We want to hear your opinions and thoughts, but please only comment about the specified topic in article.

Post a Comment
Required *

- +

 *
 *

Captcha Image
KFIZ Phone: 920-921-1071
All content © 2012 Mountain Dog Media, USA
Web Design and Development by Wyld_Desyns LLC - "Take Your Business to the Next Level!