107.1 The Bull linkKFIZ News AM 1450 on Facebook
Listen Live to KFIZ.1 FM
920-921-1071
KFIZ Closings and Cancellations in the Fond du Lac, WI area.  Sponsored by Airtech Heating and Cooling
Wrightway
Fanna's
KFIZ South Valley Weather Updates
KFIZ social network facebook and Twitter feeds

Newsletter Sign-Up






Captcha Image

Wisconsin Farm Report with Pam Jahnke   WRN - Wisconsin Radio Network
Advertise with KFIZ.1 FM
  Jerry Schneider Band Polka Show 9:00 AM - Noon Saturdays on KFIZ

Haase Reminds Homeowners to Heat Safely as Temperatures Drop

24-Oct-2018

It’s late October – and that means it’s cooling off a bit outside and frost is beginning to settle on our windshields. It’s also a strange point in the year where people don’t know whether to run the air conditioning or the heat. Division Chief of Fire Prevention Troy Haase points out that not everyone is ready to turn on their furnace just yet. 

He says “this time of year when it’s that fifties, some people might be trying to heat with alternative things like a space heater or – I know my grandmother, a long time ago, she’d always turn on the burners on her gas stove and heat up the kitchen with the gas stove. So I know people try to use alternative methods, and that’s not very safe as well.”

Haase adds that “if you’re using a space heater, make sure you have plenty of clearance around it. Make sure you plug it into an outlet, no extension cords, no power strips, right directly into the outlet to make sure you have that direct connection. Make sure there’s not animals and things around it. The new models have anti-tip, so if they get tipped they shut down.”

Haase also reminds homeowners to keep an eye on your furnace, and to double check the batteries in your carbon monoxide detectors. 

He says newer furnace systems will "shut down if there’s a problem. But you’ve got to make sure you’ve got the CO detector. When you start the furnaces up, make sure you have a working CO detector on each level so you’re at least aware if there’s an issue with your furnace, if there’s a problem with the burning process – that it puts out CO, then you get alarmed and call someone to check it.”

But Haase also mentions that not everyone feels the same effects when carbon monoxide is creeping into the home. 

He explains that “CO is one of those things that affects people at different ages and different sizes, so you might be feeling perfectly fine, but you might have a two-year old who’s not feeling perfectly fine. So we want to make sure that we’re checking – if they go off, call 911 and we’ll come and check it out.”

Comments 0

Please remember a few rules before posting comments:

  • If you don't want people to see your email address, simply type in the URL of your favorite website or leave the field empty.
  • Try to be civil to your fellow readers.
  • Stay on topic. We want to hear your opinions and thoughts, but please only comment about the specified topic in article.

Post a Comment
Required *

- +

 *
 *

Captcha Image
KFIZ Phone: 920-921-1071
All content © 2012 Mountain Dog Media, USA
Web Design and Development by Wyld_Desyns LLC - "Take Your Business to the Next Level!