Red Cross Top 4th Of July Safety Tips
Throughout the Fourth of July week, many people will be traveling, firing-up the backyard grill or enjoying fireworks, and the American Red Cross offers a series of steps everyone can follow to safely enjoy the holiday.
FIREWORKS SAFETY The best way to enjoy fireworks is to attend a public fireworks show put on by professionals. Here are five safety steps for people setting fireworks off at home:1. Never give fireworks to small children, and always follow the instructions on the packaging.
2. Keep a supply of water close by as a precaution.
3. Make sure the person lighting fireworks always wears eye protection.
4. Light only one firework at a time and never attempt to relight "a dud."
5. Never throw or point a firework toward people, animals, vehicles, structures or flammable materials.
GRILLING SAFETY Every year people are injured while using charcoal or gas grills. Here are several steps to safely cook treats for the backyard barbecue:
- 1. Always supervise a barbecue grill when in use.
- 2. Never grill indoors – not in the house, camper, tent, or any enclosed area.
- 3. Make sure everyone, including the pets, stays away from the grill.
- 4. Keep the grill out in the open, away from the house, the deck, tree branches, or anything that could catch fire.
- 5. Use the long-handled tools especially made for cooking on the grill to keep the chef safe.
HIGHWAY SAFETY Millions of people will be on the highways throughout the Fourth of July week. The Red Cross offers five things everyone should do to stay safe while traveling:
- 1. Use caution in work zones.
- 2. Buckle seat belts, observe speed limits.
- 3. Do not drink and drive.
- 4. Pay full attention to the road – don’t use a cell phone to call or text.
- 5. Clean the vehicle’s lights and windows to help the driver see, especially at night. Turn the headlights on as dusk approaches, or during inclement weather.
Please remember a few rules before posting comments:
- If you don't want people to see your email address, simply type in the URL of your favorite website or leave the field empty.
- Try to be civil to your fellow readers.
- Stay on topic. We want to hear your opinions and thoughts, but please only comment about the specified topic in article.