News > Local News > Bad Decision Affects Eight FDL Families

Bad Decision Affects Eight FDL Families

Families living in eight units of the River’s Edge Apartments at 474 West Scott Street were displaced by fire Monday afternoon after someone left something cooking on a stove and left the apartment. Fond du Lac Fire Division Chief Troy Haase says that person didn’t live in the apartment, but was an acquaintance of the tenants. He says, “He leaves the stove on. When our firefighters get there we notice it’s an electric stove, but the thing is solid red and the pan is still on there and there is fire. So they put the fire out and then they had to pull the stove out to unplug it.” Normally in a house fire one family is affected, but Haase says a bad decision affected a number of people this time. He says, “In this situation this person affects eight different people. So in an apartment setting you got really make sure you take care of, take care of what you’re doing to make sure you always know what’s going on so you don’t affect your neighbors.” Firefighters canvassed the neighborhood Tuesday to educate residents about the importance of working smoke detectors and cooking safety. (Fond du Lac Fire/Rescue photo)