Boys Playing With Matches Start Basement Fire In FDL

Two young boys playing with matches started a fire in a home at 156 South Seymour Street in Fond du Lac Wednesday night. The fire was in a plastic tote in the basement area. Fire Chief Peter O’Leary says there was no structural damage and a resident of the home put the fire out with an extinguisher. Firefighters ventilated the building. A 16-year-old girl was taken to St. Agnes Hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation. Chief O’Leary says children don’t realize how fast a fire can get away from them. He says, “In this case it got a little out of hand for them and created a little bit more of a problem. I mean when there is fire inside structures it’s always alarming to us no matter what. Especially occupied structures they know there are people in there, so.” O’Leary hopes to get the two boys into their Fire Starter intervention program. He says, “We have two kids that we know were down there that we will be getting intervention for, but there are a lot of reasons why these things happen not always as visible to the naked eye. But our counselors are well equipped to find out what is causing the behavior and make sure it doesn’t happen again.” The time of the fire call was 6:31 p.m. All three fire stations in the City responded to the fire. (Fond du Lac Fire/Rescue photo).