Charcoal Grill Caused FDL Garage Fire

Fire extensively damaged a detached garage at 225 Chestnut Street in Fond du Lac Monday evening. A charcoal grill was placed in the back of the garage near some combustible materials before the grill had completely cooled down. Fire Chief Peter O’Leary says it is best to wait a day or two after you use a grill to store it in an area where it might start a fire. Hot ashes can be deceiving and might be warm enough to cause combustion in nearby paper or a flammable liquid. The fire department has responded to a number of fires over the years where ashes were still hot enough or rekindled to start a garage on fire or even in garbage that was thrown out. Luckily there wasn’t a car stored in this garage, but Chief O’Leary says a lot of family possessions stored in the garage won’t be salvageable. (Fond du Lac Fire/Rescue photo).