Child Starts Duplex Fire In Oshkosh

Oshkosh fire officials say a 9-year-old child playing with a lighter started a fire in a duplex in the 800 block of Jackson Street Sunday morning. The blaze was contained in about 10 minutes, but 5 cats and a pet rabbit died in the fire. One person was treated for smoke inhalation. The Red Cross is helping the six residents of the duplex that were displaced by the fire. Though a child started the fire, officials say extreme fire damage was the result of duplex residents trying to put out the fire themselves. The upstairs apartment had smoke and fire damage and the lower unit smoke and water damage.