Dodge County Fireworks Accident Sends One To Hospital Via Helicopter

Dodge County Sheriff Dale Schmidt is reminding the public about the hazards of handling large fireworks.

Deputies and EMS were called out Saturday evening about 7:15 pm on Saturday, June 26, 2021, for reports of an injury caused by Fireworks at W8282 STH 16/60 in the Town of Lowell. 

It was discovered that a 55-year-old Town of Lowell man received serious injuries to both of his hands and stomach while handling large fireworks.  Due to the severity of his injuries, he was flown by Med Flight to UW Hospital in Madison.  This incident remains under investigation by the Dodge County Sheriff’s Office.

With July 4th celebrations upon us, Sheriff Dale Schmidt reminds the public that fireworks are dangerous and most are in violation of state law.  Under state law the following regulations apply:

Legal Without a Permit:

State law allows the sale, possession, and use, without a permit, of sparklers not exceeding 36 inches in length, stationary cones and fountains, toy snakes, smoke bombs, caps, noisemakers and confetti poppers with less than ¼ grain of explosive mixture. Wis. Stat. § 167.10(1). There is no age restriction on the sale, possession, or use of these devices and the statute does not classify them as fireworks. The use and sale of some of these items may be prohibited by local ordinances. These are the only kinds of “fireworks,” as that word is commonly used, that a person may use or possess without a permit or that may be sold to a person who does not have a permit.

Illegal Without a Permit*:

Possessing or using any other fireworks, including, for example, firecrackers, roman candles, bottle rockets, and mortars is illegal in Wisconsin without a valid permit. Wis. Stat. § 167.10(3). A commonly used rule of thumb is that a permit is required if the device explodes or leaves the ground. The sale of these fireworks to a person without a valid permit is also illegal, Wis. Stat. § 167.10(2), unless the seller is a wholesaler or jobber selling fireworks to a nonresident for shipment out of state. Wis. Stat. § 167.10(4).

*A permit may only be obtained with the permission of your local municipality.

Finally, fireworks complaints will be responded to by the sheriff’s office and then dispatched to police departments within Dodge County. 

If you would like to file a fireworks complaint, you may do so by launching our Dodge County Sheriff’s Office app and file an “Incident Report”.  Your fireworks complaint will be transmitted through the app to the dispatch center and our dispatchers will be able to send an officer without the need to tie up our emergency or non-emergency phone lines.  You can download our app from your Google or Apple app stores.

Questions may be directed to Sheriff Dale J. Schmidt.