E Reader Smoked But Did Not Burst Into Flames

Fond du Lac School District officials say there was smoke, but no flames when an E-reader at Roberts Elementary School malfunctioned Tuesday. A student notified a staff member that smoke was coming from a side room adjacent to their class room.  The teacher saw smoke coming from an E-reader, the result of a malfunctioning battery that had melted the case. A staff member took the device outside the building and placed it a safe distance away. Students were moved from the affected area to an alternate location within the building while the area was ventilated.