Early Morning Fire, Gas Leak Shuts Down Restaurant

Fire officials say gas leaking from a stove caused a small fire at Backyard Bar and Grill early Thursday morning. A cleaning crew at the restaurant noticed the fire on a stove and quickly extinguished it before calling in the smell of natural gas a few hours later. Division Chief of Fire Prevention Troy Haase tells us there was a lot of gas in the building – so they evacuated and ventilated the scene while turning the gas off. He adds that the levels were dangerous, but there was no concern of an explosion. Health officials checked the levels at the restaurant, allowing it to reopen Thursday afternoon. Nobody was hurt.