FDL Apartment Fire

Fond du Lac Fire and Rescue responded
for a report of a smoke filled basement at 131 East Second Street just before
noon Saturday. When fire crews arrived they found smoke coming from a first
floor apartment. The tenant was evacuated along with other apartment dwellers.
Firefighters found a mattress on fire in a first floor apartment. The fire was
extinguished and the burning bedding and smoke were removed from the building.
Paramedics checked the apartment tenant out at the scene and the renter was
released. The fire was contained to the bedding in the first floor apartment.
Careless use of smoking materials started the blaze. Police assisted with the
investigation and traffic control.