FDL Condominium Fire

Update:Fire in the basement of an 8-unit condominium at 61 University Avenue displaced several Fond du Lac families Wednesday afternoon. Fire Chief Peter O’Leary says firefighters found a significant fire in the basement. He says units 61 and 59 were deemed uninhabitable after the fire due to structural integrity and smoke damage. He says the cause of the fire was unintentional, but appears to be electrical in nature. He says a dehumidifier, sump pump and other things were plugged into an extension cord. No one was injured during the blaze. The time of the fire call was 3:32 p.m. Click here to watch fire department video. 

Fond du Lac firefighters put out a basement fire at an 8-unit condominium at 61 University Avenue Wednesday afternoon. When firefighters arrived shortly after 3:30 p.m. they found a fire in the basement and put it out. However the blaze caused extensive damage to the basement and Units 61 & 59 were deemed uninhabitable.  The Red Cross was called to assist displaced residents. Fire Chief Peter O’Leary says the fire appeared to have started in the basement and was electrical in nature. He says fire crews prevented the fire from spreading. He says tenants were able to get safely out and no injuries were reported. Off-duty personnel and several neighboring fire departments were brought in to assist on-scene and to provide coverage throughout the city. Fond du Lac Fire Department photo.