FDL County Bird Tests Positive For West Nile Virus

A Fond du Lac County Health Department official says a crow found by a local resident on May 31st has tested positive for the West Nile virus. It is the first bird that tested positive for West Nile virus in the county since surveillance for the mosquito-transmitted virus began May 1st. County Public Health Officer Kim Mueller says any residents who spot a dead bird they think should be tested can contact the Health Department. She says there phone number is 929-3085. She says the dead birds are the first indication that West Nile virus may be present in the local mosquito population. Mueller says 80 percent of the people bitten by mosquitoes carrying the virus will not develop symptoms, but the other 20 percent have the potential of having a severe reaction.