FDL Fire/Rescue Called Out Three Times In Two Hours


It was a hot day, and a busy night for Fond du Lac Fire / Rescue, as crews were called out at 12:20 a.m. Sunday morning to the  Fond du Lac Townhomes at 195 S. Brooke Street for the report of a dumpster fire. Once on the scene, crews found a fire burning in a 12-foot by 20-foot enclosed garbage / recycle dumpster shelter located in the rear parking lot of the multi-family apartment complex.

Fire crews were able to extinguish the fire, but not before the fire caused major structural damage to the shelter and damage to the exterior vinyl siding of a nearby apartment building. The shelter contained multiple garbage and recycling containers, and Fire investigators are working to pinpoint what exactly started this fire. 

According to Assistant Fire Chief Jim Knowles, “This is the third fire involving garbage / recycle containers that our crews responded to within the past two hours.” Prior to this incident, fire consumed a garbage container at 411 N. Peters Avenue due to improper disposal of consumed fireworks.