FDL Fire & Rescue Responds to Fire in Clothes Dryer

Photo submitted

One person had to be rescued and four were treated for
smoke inhalation after a fire in a clothes dryer at an apartment building in
Fond du Lac Tuesday afternoon. Fond du Lac Fire and Rescue was called to a
two-story apartment building on Grand Court just after 3:30 pm for the fire. The
dryer was in a common first floor hallway, and firefighters noticed heavy smoke
before removing the dryer from the building to minimize the spread of the fire.

A search of the building found one tenant was unable to leave
the building on his own, so firefighters rescued him from a second floor
window. All other tenants in the 16-unit apartment building were evacuated safely.
The fire was put out, and smoke was ventilated to allow all tenants to return. The
Fire Department says the fire was accidental in nature, and was caused by overloading
the dryer with wet clothes.

No injuries were reported as a result of the fire. The Red
Cross assisted one tenant with personal belongings. Fond du Lac Police also assisted
with traffic control and scene management.