News > Local News > Fire At FDL Apartment Building

Fire At FDL Apartment Building

A carelessly discarded cigarette may have caused a fire at a Fond du Lac apartment building New Year’s Day. Firefighters were called to 82 North Berger Parkway for a fire Thursday afternoon at 1:35. Fire Chief Peter O’Leary says fire crews found a small fire burning outside a first floor unit.  The fire burned through the outer wall and began to burn part of the interior structure in the basement.  The blaze was quickly extinguished and the building was ventilated.  He says smoke alarms activated and alerted residents who all escaped without injury.  No residents were displaced. The cause of the fire appears to have been from improperly discarded smoking materials. “It’s really imperative that smokers extinguish cigarettes completely in a manner which will eliminate the possibility of them causing a fire” said, Chief O’Leary.  “Today’s fire could have had a much different outcome if not for the quick notification to the fire department.” The Fond du Lac Police assisted with traffic control. Fond du Lac Fire Department photo.