Fire Causes Evacuation Of Press Box Tavern

A fire located on an outside wall caused the evacuation Wednesday of the Press Box Tavern.

Fond du Lac Fire Rescue was notified Wednesday April 27, 2022 just before 7:15 p.m., of smoke coming out from the walls at The Press Box Tavern, 251 Forest Ave.

Crews arrived to find smoke coming from an outside wall on the front of the building.  Firefighters had to access the wall at the location of the smoke, as well as accessing the interior area of that same wall, before extinguishing the smoldering fire.

Patrons and employees inside The Press Box were evacuated for about an hour, before it was deemed safe to return to normal operations.  Fire investigators determined the fire originated from improper discarding of smoking materials in the front of the building. 

FDL Police Department assisted with scene management and traffic control.

The cause of the fire was similar to numerous other fires over the past week, which are completely preventable.  Residents are being reminded the only safe way to discard smoking materials is in an appropriate fire-proof receptacle.