Fire Damages Home On E. Cotton Street

Fond du Lac Fire Chief Peter O’Leary says an alert neighbor probably prevented a much more devastating fire at 132 E. Cotton Street early this morning. The neighbor saw smoke coming from a second floor window and called 911 just before 12:30 a.m. When police arrived they saw the smoke and checked to see if anyone was home. No one was and there were no injuries during the blaze. The bulk of the fire was near a dishwasher and some of the structure surrounding it on the first floor. Chief O’Leary says it is believed that an electrical issue inside the home is what may have caused the fire. As a precaution Alliant Energy secured both electrical and gas services. The residents are staying with friends until an electrician can assess the condition of the home’s electrical system.  Fond du Lac police provided assistance with traffic and on-scene management. Fond du Lac Fire Department photos.