Gas Leak And Fire

Fond du Lac firefighters responded to a gas leak and fire at 585 East Division Street shortly before 11 a.m. Wednesday morning. Division Chief of Fire Prevention Troy Haase says an Alliant Energy crew was working on a gas meter and piping when a valve allowed gas to escape, which set off a small fire near shrubbery and an outside corner of the home. The fire also caused a power line to the home to be severed. The Alliant crew used an extinguisher to put out the fire, but firefighters checked to make sure the fire didn’t extend inside the home. A female resident of the home was evacuated as a precaution.