Gas Leak In Waupun Impacts 350 Customers
A Friday afternoon gas leak in Waupun caused power outages for nearly 350 customers.
Waupun Fire Crews were called out Friday (6/10/2022) at 3:00 p.m. to the area of S. Madison and Doty Streets for a gas main that was struck by a piece of construction equipment being used for street reconstruction work on S. Madison Street.
Upon arrival, crews found a 4” gas main leaking. Unsafe gas levels were detected which prompted fire crews to begin evacuating 20 homes on S. Madison and Doty Streets.
Crews from Waupun Utilities and Alliant Energy met on scene and due to the direction the gas was blowing, decided the safest way to cut power in the immediate area required gas to be shut off at a substation.
Once power was shut off, fire crews worked with Waupun Utilities to reach out to homes in the affected area that relied on in-home oxygen and other critical needs.
The Waupun Senior Center was opened as a temporary shelter for anyone who needed power however it wasn’t utilized. Power was restored to all but 2 houses in the area of the leak after about an hour.
Alliant crews isolated the gas leak and were able to crimp the lines feeding the leak. Gas service to 5 homes in the immediate area was off for approximately 5 hours. The all clear for folks to return to their homes was given around 6 p.m.
No injuries were reported during the incident. The investigation is ongoing as to why the main was struck.
Agencies assisting included the Waupun Police Department, Waupun Utilities, Waupun Department of Public Works, City Hall, the Senior Center and Alliant Energy.