Gas Leak Near Former St Marys School
Fond du Lac firefighters were called to the scene of a natural gas leak on East Merrill Avenue near Amory Street Tuesday morning. An excavator hit a natural gas line by the former St. Mary’s School, which Commonwealth Companies is converting to apartments. Division Chief Troy Haase says at first they thought they were dealing with a larger main, but it turned out to be a service main. Alliant Energy shut off the gas to make repairs. Gas readings were taken at several homes and they began evacuating students at Chegwin Elementary School, which is across the street. Students were returned to classes within minutes. There were no injuries reported. The time of the call was shortly before 10 a.m.