Heater May Have Been Factor In FDL Garage Fire

A torpedo-style heater may have been the cause of a fire that destroyed a detached garage and two vehicles at 132 East Cotton Street early Sunday morning. Division Chief of Fire Prevention Troy Haase says a heater was being used, but they haven’t determined if it was left on or was responsible for the blaze. He says an occupant of the home said they left to go somewhere that night, but weren’t sure if it was left on or had been turned off. He says the fire didn’t spread and no one was injured, which is fortunate because one of those living in the home has a disability. He says that person doesn’t walk very well and there is a ramp in the back of the home that person uses to leave the home. It was the first structure fire for the department in the New Year. Haase says last year they responded to 96 structure fires, two fewer than in 2015.