Improper Disposal Of Fireworks Results In Garage Fire

Fond du Lac Fire / Rescue was called out Saturday night at 10:48 p.m. to the 900 block of New Haven Avenue for the report of a residential garage on fire. Upon arrival crews found that the fire was extinguished by the quick actions of a passerby who utilized an extinguisher after being waived down by the resident. 

The fire was located inside the garage and caused damage to a portion of wall. Fire crews remained on scene for approximately 40 minutes to ensure that the fire was extinguished.

The cause of this fire appears to have been due to the improper disposal of fireworks in a garbage container. Assistant Fire Chief Knowles stresses, “Throwing away leftover firework debris, duds, or even unused fireworks can be a huge fire hazard. The best thing to do is to place consumed fireworks in a bucket and fully saturate them with water over night before disposing in a garbage container.” Proper cleanup, handling, and disposal of fireworks reduces the risk of an injury or fire from occurring.