News > Local News > Impropertly Disposed Cigarette Causes FDL Fire

Impropertly Disposed Cigarette Causes FDL Fire

A discarded cigarette started a fire
at 364 4th Street in Fond du Lac shortly before 7 p.m. Saturday night. Fire
Chief Peter O’Leary says a delivery driver for Joe’s Fox Hut noticed the fire on
a 2nd floor deck and alerted nearby residents who called 911. The fire was
quickly extinguished. The resident of the upper unit was not at home at the time
of the fire. There was some structural damage. Chief O’Leary says, “We continue
to see fires related to improperly discarded smoking materials left on
combustible decking.” He says smokers should make sure their smoking materials
are extinguished before leaving the area. O’Leary says it’s fortunate the fire
was discovered before it was too late.” It’s the second fire in the City in less
than a month caused by cigarettes which were not properly extinguished. Fond du Lac Fire/Rescue photos.