Nearly Four Dozen Chicken Perish In Lamartine Fire

A wood stove appears to be the cause of a Monday evening fire near Lamartine.

On Monday December 20, 2021 at 8:16 PM, the Fond du Lac County Sheriff’s Office along with Town of Lamartine Fire Department were dispatched to N6344 Hillcrest Rd, in the Township of Lamartine for reports of several chicken coops on fire. 

The initial investigation shows that the fire started from a wood stove used to heat the chicken coop.  The fire quickly spread to 3 other chicken coops.  Four chicken coops were destroyed in the fire, causing approximately $8,000 in damage.  Approximately 50 chickens died in the fire. 

Assistance at the scene was provided by City of Fond du Lac Fire Department, Town of Fond du Lac Fire Department, and Oakfield Fire Department.