Neighbor Saves Washington County Home From Going Up In Flames

Washington County Sheriff’s officials are crediting a quick-thinking neighbor for saving a Town of Wayne garage and home from going up in flames. After seeing ash falling in his yard late Monday morning the 63-year-old man spotted heavy smoke and fire coming from his neighbor’s garage. He grabbed a fire extinguisher and his wife called 911. After emptying the extinguisher he continued throwing snow on the flames. A deputy arrived and used another extinguisher. They then pulled combustible material away from the side of the garage. The Kohlsville Fire Department arrived and put the fire completely out. Only exterior siding was damaged on the home. The homeowner had placed fireplace ash into a garbage can at four that morning. Before that the ashes had sat in a metal container outside the home for three days.