News > Local News > No Smoke Alarm In Waupun Apartment Fire

No Smoke Alarm In Waupun Apartment Fire

Waupun Fire Chief B.J. DeMaa says the apartment damaged by fire at the Wish-U-Well Inn Tuesday afternoon didn’t have a smoke detector. The tenant, Dale Slade, wasn’t home when the blaze began. DeMaa says it could have been a very different set of circumstances if the fire had occurred at night. He says smoke alarms are an early warning device and get people out of bed at night if there is a fire. The cause of the fire is still being determined. DeMaa says it does not appear to be suspicious and it began in the living area. He says firefighters confined the fire damage to that apartment. Smoke damaged a second adjacent apartment. DeMaa says only three people were displaced by the fire and had to spend the night elsewhere. The fire caused $25,000 to $35,000 in damage.