News > Local News > Oshkosh Building Fire Caused by Unattended Cooking

Oshkosh Building Fire Caused by Unattended Cooking

The Oshkosh Fire Department is pointing to unattended
cooking as the cause behind a building fire along High Avenue early Saturday morning. Fire
officials ruled the cause as accidental and did not release further details. 

Two people were injured during the fire – and they remain in a Milwaukee hospital. One person suffered
second degree burns and another suffered from smoke inhalation. 

City records
show the building – which housed six apartments and a salon – was built in
1920. Firefighters say the rubber roof on the structure made it extremely
flammable, which gave them problems as they worked to put it out. 

The fire
started around 1:15am and was finally under control by 5:30am. Streets in the
surrounding area were closed to traffic for about 12 hours.