Porch Fire Extinguished, Smoking Materials Appear To Be The Cause

For the second time in less than twelve hours, Fond du Lac Fire Rescue crews were called out for a porch fire.

The Sunday afternoon fire was able to be knocked down in quick fashion.

Fire Rescue personnel was called Sunday April 24, 2022 at 2:56 p.m. to a report of a porch fire at 201 E. 1st St. Upon arrival, fire crews encountered a smoldering fire in an open porch.  Firefighters were able to extinguish the blaze but not before causing minor damage.

Fire investigators determined the fire originated from improper discarding of smoking materials on the wooden porch. 

There were no reported injuries or displaced residents. FDL Police Department assisted with scene management and traffic control.

Interim Fire Chief, Erick Gerritson issued a press release late Sunday afternoon, saying “This incident is an important reminder to properly dispose of discarded smoking materials in an appropriate fire-proof receptacle.”

Fire personnel will be canvassing the neighborhood Monday (4/25/2022) handing out fire safety literature, offering residential fire inspections, and expressing the importance of having working smoke detectors within the home.