Ripon Apartment Building Fire Caused By Discarded Smoking Materials

Discarded smoking materials were the cause of a fire at the Valley Crest Apartments in Ripon that displaced 14 people Monday night. Ripon Area Fire District Chief Tim Saul says smoking materials were found in a plastic container on a second story balcony where the fire is believed to have started. The blaze at 560 North Douglas Street was reported around 5 p.m. Monday afternoon. Eight of the 16 apartment units in the complex were damaged by the fire. Ripon EMS took one person to the hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation. Those displaced by the fire were aided by the Red Cross.