Unattended Cooking Fire In FDL

Fond du Lac firefighters put out an unattended cooking fire in an apartment at 492 E. Merrill Avenue Tuesday morning. Division Chief of Fire Prevention Troy Haase says smoke traveled from a kitchen on the first floor and traveled up into a bathroom on the second floor. He says as with the majority of unattended cooking fires it was unintentional, but they don’t know if they left the food on or if it was accidentally turned on. He says the apartment building had smoke detectors, but for some reason batteries had been removed. Haase says the damage was mostly limited to smoke damage. No injuries were reported.  Fond du Lac Fire Department photo.